Nerd notes: Homecoming Edition
Written by Mark Chreene on September 29, 2023
It’s the biggest home game of the season tonight as the Crimson Tide hosts the 90th annual Homecoming game.
Since it is the homecoming game, it is double duty for Nerd Notes for week 5 against the Huntington Raiders!
Let’s start with Homecoming.
- Minden’s all-time homecoming record is 54-33-2
- First homecoming game was in 1932 (34-0 win over Ruston)
- Most consecutive wins on homecoming: 7 (1954-1960)
- Most consecutive losses: 5 (1999-2003)
- Most common homecoming opponent: North Caddo (13 games)
- Most wins is also against North Caddo (11)
- Most losses against: Bossier (4) (3-4 record against Bossier in Homecoming games)
For a little extra Homecoming Nerd Notes, here is the breakdown by decade of Minden’s Homecoming record.
- 1930s: 6-2
- 1940s: 2-6-1
- 1950s: 8-2
- 1960s: 7-2-1
- 1970s: 5-5
- 1980s: 9-1
- 1990s: 5-5
- 2000s: 4-6
- 2010s: 8-2
- 2020s: 1-2
Record under Coach Heard: 6-4 (since 2013)
There are a lot of records involving Minden and Huntington in the all-time records.
- Minden leads the all-time series 17-10, with Minden’s first win and meeting between the two schools coming in 1981, 26-14.
- Longest winning streak in the series: 7, from 2013-2019
- Longest losing streak in the series: 4, from 1993-1994, 2009-2010.
- Most points scored by Minden in the series is 47 in 2019.
- Minden has been shutout twice in the series, back-to-back years in 1993-94.
- Minden has shutout Huntington 5 times in the series, the most recent a 35-0 win in 2018.
- Former Minden Head Coach Stepfret Williams’ first win as Minden coach came against Huntington in 1992, a 14-13 win.
Some Team records against Huntington include:
- Most yards per rush allowed: #2 with 10.5 in 2021.
- Total yards allowed: #2 with 616 in 2022.
- Yards per play: #1 with14 in 2022 and #5 with 10.4 in 2021
- Most turnovers in a game: #2 with 7 in 1989
Individual records by Huntington in the series include:
- Most passing yards in a game: #1 with 491 by Kamron Evans in 2022
- Most passing touchdowns in a game: #1 with 7 by Kamron Evans in 2022 (Evans also is at #3 with 3 tds passing against the Tide in 2021.)
- Longest pass completion: #5 with a 65-yard TD pass by Kamron Evans in 2022
- Most rushes in a game: Damien Jiggets at #4 with 32 rushes in 2012
- Most receptions in a game: Jarrett Fobbs at #2 with 13 in 2009,
- Most TDs receiving in a game: Tre Carter #2 with 3, and Kenton Brossett and Kaleb Tucker both tied at #3 with 2 TDs in a game, all happening in 2022. (That 2022 game was full of records if you haven’t noticed!)
- Longest interception return: #1 Cecil Tuiel with a 100-yard interception in 1993 and #2 Cameron Franklin with a 99-yard return in 2012.
- Most interceptions in a game: #1 Cecil Tuiel with 3 in 1993.
As far as Minden records in the series:
- Most completions in a game: Hunter Leppert is #1 with 29 in 2009 and #4 with 26 in 2010. Turner Francis is #6 with 24 in 2012 and #9 with 20 in 2013.
- Most pass attempts in a game: Turner Francis and Hunter Leppert are tied at #3 with 46 (Leppert in 2010 and Francis in 2012) Leppert also recorded 45 attempts in 2009.
- Most passing touchdowns in a game: Turner Francis is tied for #1 with 5 in 2013. Antonio Rivette and Randy Ray are tied for #2 with 4 (Rivette in 2015, Ray in 1982)
- Most interceptions in a game: Tied at #3 is Wymeko Williams with 4 in 1993
- Most rushing attempts: #3 Sammy Seamster, with 36 in 1985
- Most rushing touchdowns in a game: #2 Lieric Robinson who had 5 in 2019.
- Most receiving touchdowns in a game: Cameron Elkins is tied for #1 with 4 in 2013.
- Longest punt return in a game: Billy Flournoy is #1 with an 85-yard TD return in 1986.
- Most sacks in a game: (*see note below) Adam Harvey, D’Quontrez Ridley, Eddie Harrison, and Johnathon Pierce are tied at #3 with 3. (Harvey in 1992, Ridley in 2019, Harrison in 1989, and Pierce in 1987)
- Most interceptions in a game: Elgin Moore is tied at #2 with 2 in 2011.
*Defensive stats are an incomplete category and mostly at the mercy of newspaper coverage until recent years.
A few team records by Minden in the series:
- Total rushes in a game: #4 with 61 in 1987
- Most total TDs in a game: tied at #2 with 7 in 2019.
Well, that’s a LOT of numbers for a relatively short series of 27 games! Hopefully the Tide will get the number that all of us want to see tonight at homecoming: 1…the first win of the season!
See you at the game, and as always, if you can’t make the game be sure to listen to all the action on 104.5 FM KBEF or online at kbef.com.