Nerd Notes-Week 3 Edition
Written by Mark Chreene on September 15, 2023
It is a rivalry game of sorts for the Minden Crimson Tide tonight, as they play host to the North Webster Knights. While a consolidated school comprising of the former high schools in the north end of Webster Parish, the North Webster game always evokes memories on both sides of the Minden/Springhill rivalry through the years. It’s also a “Battle of Webster Parish,” or as this year’s matchup is being billed, the inaugural “Battle of the Boot” as both schools are the largest high schools in the parish. While the series is only 8 games old, there have been some memorable names and moments over the years. One player from each team is currently playing in the NFL: Devin White (North Webster) and L’Jarius Sneed (Minden). Ironically, neither one played against each other in high school, as Sneed was out with due to injury in the 2015 matchup.
So, let’s look at the Nerd Notes for week 3 vs. North Webster.
- All-time record vs. North Webster: 7-1
- Most points scored in a game: 39 (2022)
- Fewest points scored in a game: 13 (2018)
- Biggest win: 26-0 (2016)
- Biggest Loss: 13-18 (2018)
- Minden has shut out North Webster in 2 of the 8 previous meetings: 2016, 2020.
There have been several individual records set in this short series:
- Average yards per punt: 46 yards (Justin McCready, 2015—7th all-time)
- Longest Field Goal Made: 37 yards (Pedro Hernandez, 2015—8th all-time)
- Most tackles in one game: 17 (Bobby Britton, 2017—8th all-time)**
- Most interceptions in one game: 2 (Leonardo McCarter, 2016—8th all-time)**
**NOTE: defensive stats are incomplete numbers due to the lack of reported stats over the years.
Only one opponent record has been made against the Tide in the previous 8 games:
- Most rushing yards in one game: 225 (Devin White, 2015)
Even though this game is against North Webster, let’s take a look at a couple of bonus Nerd Notes with the other schools Minden has played that consolidated into North Webster.
- Springhill: Springhill won the overall series 34-27-1, with Minden winning the last game against the Lumberjacks, 39-0 in 2008.
- Cotton Valley: Minden 3-0 in matchups against the Wildcats in 1931, 1938, and 1946.
- Sarepta: Minden went 2-0 against the Hornets in consecutive years. (1939-40)
We look forward to another competitive game between Minden and North Webster tonight and look forward to seeing you at the game! As always, if you can’t make it, you can listen on KBEF 104.5 FM or online at kbef.com!