Nerd Notes: Week 2 Minden/Homer
Written by Mark Chreene on September 7, 2023
The Minden Crimson Tide look to rebound tomorrow night after an exiting opener at The Pit last week against Parkway. While Nerd Notes is a time to look at the upcoming opponent, I felt that a few bonus Nerd Notes for the season opener recap were in order.
- The 41 points scored by Minden last week were the most under Coach Heard in a season opener. It was also the highest scoring game for Minden since the 2010 opener against North DeSoto (32).
- The most points scored in a season opener was 58 against Vivian in 1916. Second most points scored was 48, done twice. (1967, 1987)
Now we move on to the game at hand in week 2, the Homer Pelicans.
- There series record between Homer and Minden is tied 29-29-4, in a series that reaches back to 1909 (47-5, Homer).
- Minden’s first win in the series came in 1912, a 26-0 win at Homer.
- Until last season’s game, Minden and Homer had not played since 1990 (22-20 win by Homer). That 1990 game ended a streak of playing Homer in every decade from the 1900s through the 1990s.
- Minden’s longest winning streak in the series is 7 from 1958-1964
- Minden’s longest losing streak in the series is 10 from 1939-1942, 1945-1950.
- The most points scored in the series belongs to Minden, who scored 81 against the Pelicans in 1920.
- Most points allowed by Minden in the series is 47 in the inaugural match in 1909.
- The last tie in the series came in 1931 (0-0), though the technical last tie came in 1939 (0-0), though Minden “lost” the game on tiebreaker on 1st downs (12-5 in favor of Homer).
- Minden’s last win in the series was in 1989, a 14-0 win at Homer.
There are a few records that are attached to the Minden/Homer series:
- Not all of them are positive…3rd most penalty yards came against Homer in 1964 (155 yds)
- Mike Lott stands at 5th place all-time in team history with most rushing touchdowns in a game with 4 against Homer in 1976
- Johnny Jackson is 7th in team history in longest punt returns with a 78-yard return against Homer in 1987.
- Richard Yates is tied at 7th place in team history with an 85-yard interception return for touchdown against Homer in 1954.
- While these numbers are always moving because of research, James Crow stands at 8th all-time in team history with 17 tackles in a game, recorded against Homer in 1985.
There is one record that has been set by Homer in the series as well:
- Wayne Bans is tied for the all-time record in longest kick return against the Tide, with a 99-yard return in 1955.
Last year’s game was an exciting game that came down to the final series for the Crimson Tide. Look for another exciting game Friday night at Ronnie G. Beard Memorial Stadium in Homer. We hope to see you at the game, but as always, you can catch the game on 104.5 FM KBEF or listen online at kbef.com!