Webster Parish School Board Holds First Meeting Of 2023
Written by Mark Chreene on January 10, 2023
The first meeting of 2023 was held Monday evening and began with Judge Jeff Cox swearing in of the Webster Parish School Board Members. New Board Members sworn in were Jonathan Guthrie, Patricia “Susan” Addington, Debbie Thomas, and Jana Watson.
The Board Members also appointed Ms. Franke Mitchell to serve for District 9 until a Special Election can be held to fill this seat. No one qualified to run for District 9 therefore leaving the seat vacant. Qualifying will reopen and a special election will be held to fill the seat.
New Officers for the 2023 year were elected. Charles Strong will serve as President for 2023 and Mrs. Johnnye Kennon will serve as Vice President.
Action taken by the board on Monday night included:
- Approval of addendum to 2022-2023 Pupil Progression Plan.
- Approval for Coordinated Funding Request; The Webster Parish Ready Early Childhood Network will be applying for birth thru 4-year-old seats for the 2023 – 2024 school year.
- Approval for Title 1 Principals to attend the National Title 1 Elementary and Secondary Education Act February 1 – 4, 2023 in Indianapolis, Indiana with the Funding Source to be Title 1.
- Approval of Invoice 7013 from Homeland Safety in the amount $136,111.04 for the yearly service contract fee. Payment for this invoice will come from the following funds:
- Cotton Valley Maintenace Fund $2,559.01
- Consolidated District 3 Maintenance Fund $29,366.95
- Doyline Maintenance Fund $9,679.90
- Minden District 6 ½ cent Maintenance Fund $65,817.91
- Sarepta Maintenance Fund $5,638.56
- Springhill Maintenance Fund $13,263.95
- Shongaloo Building Fund $5,264.82
- Parish Wide Maintenance Tax Fund $4,519.94
District Expenditures approved included:
Consolidated District 3 Maintenance Fund:
- Ratify for payment invoice #41144 from Hercules Ag and Outdoor in the amount of $1,500 to install the new scoreboard at Lakeside Junior/Senior High School Baseball Field.
- Ratify for payment invoice #S-9458 from Mechanical Concepts in the amount of $1,769.75 to replace a warranty compressor and sensors at Central Elementary School.
- Approve Invoice #7343 from Stewart Electric in the amount of $2,950 for repairs to the light pole at Lakeside Junior/Senior High School.
Minden District 6 ½ cent Maintenance Fund:
- Webster Junior High School to install and upgrade the sound systems in the main gym, cafeteria, and 6th grade auxiliary gym. The system will be upgraded and installed by Claiborne Sharp at a cost of $28,181.13.
- Ratify for payment invoice #11975 from Mechanical Cooling Services in the amount of $2,950 for the sale of two heat exchangers for Phillips Elementary.
- Ratify for payment invoice #S-10274 from Mechanical Concepts in the amount of $2,400 to replace the oil return solenoid valve at Webster Junior High School Sixth grade wing.
Sarepta Maintenance Fund:
- Approval to accept the low quote of $37,108.84 from A & A Building Specialties to replace ten doors and hardware and selected door frames at North Webster Junior High School.
Springhill Maintenance Fund
- Approval to accept the low quote of $39,830.39 from A & A Building Specialties to replace eight doors and hardware and replace selected hardware and adjust seven additional doors at Brown Upper Elementary School.
Doyline Maintenance Fund
- Ratify for payment invoice #S-10385 from Mechanical Concepts in the amount of $6,388.96 to replace a compressor and inverter board at Doyline High School.
Cotton Valley Maintenance Fund
- Approval to accept proposals 5320 and 5312 in the amounts of $639.57 and $4,996.82 ($5,636.39 total) to add a CMS unit to the principal’s office at North Webster Upper Elementary School.
Shongaloo Maintenance Fund
- Approval to accept the low quote of $19,410.31 from A & A Building Specialties to replace four doors and two door frames at North Webster Lower Elementary School Cafeteria.
The next meeting of the Webster Parish School Board will be held on Monday, February 6, 2023, at the Webster Parish School Board Office at 6:00 pm with a Finance Committee Meeting to be held at 5:00 pm.