Glenda Broughton Sworn in as Dist. 6 School Board Member
Written by Mark Chreene on March 5, 2020
The March meeting of the Webster Parish School Board began with the swearing in of a new board member. Mrs. Glenda Broughton was sworn in to fill her late husband, Ronnie Broughton’s term as District 6 school board member until a special election can be held later this year.
Mr. Rodney Taylor of Taylor and Sons recognized Keith Taylor, Warehouseman for Food Services, as the employee of the month.
The board approved:
- Ursula Hullaby, Safe and Drug Coordinator, to attend Drug Trends in the Schools Workshop in Frisco, Texas on March 30, 2020 using Title IV funding.
- The request to have a team attend the Games Uniting Mind and Body Organization (GUMBO games) in Shreveport at Lee Hedges Stadium on March 20, 2020. Students will be accompanied by Physical Therapist, Monica Lacy and Adapted PE teachers, Michelle Brister and Tyler Lewis.
- The 2020-2021 Webster Parish School Calendar. Teachers report back on August 4th and students first day of school is Thursday, August 6th. Fall Break will be October 5 – 9. Thanksgiving Break will be November 23 – 27 and Christmas Break will be December 21 – January 5. Presidents’ Holiday will be February 11 – 15 and Spring Break/Easter Holiday will be March 29 – April 5. Last day of school for teachers and students will be May 18th.
- Contracting with Attorney Paul Kitchens for possible revision of the current cooperative endeavor agreement with the City of Minden regarding the use of Griffith Stadium.
- Authorization for Superintendent to sign a multi-year contract with IK Network Solutions and Detel for the purchase of E-Rate Category 2 products and services, based upon such terms and conditions found to be satisfactory by the Superintendent and legal counsel.
- Lakeside Junior/Senior High School History Club to travel to Dallas and Waxahachie, Texas April 3 – 4, 2020 to visit Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum and the Scarborough Renaissance Festival.
- Ratify and approve TiderLine of Minden High School to attend SSAP National Competition February 29 – March 1, 2020. The TiderLine competed in Dallas this past weekend and placed 1st in HipHop and the most spirited High School.
- Webster Parish High School EH to travel to Dallas, Texas March 26 – 27, 2020.
Other purchases approved were:
Consolidated 3 Maintenance Fund
- Approve the purchase of a Slim Line H310M Pro laptop computer from DETEL for Lakeside Junior/Senior High School in the amount of $1,188.00.
- Approve T3 Global Projects, LLC to repair the storm damaged track at Lakeside Junior/Senior High School. Total cost not to exceed $10,000.
Doyline Maintenance Fund
- Ratify approval of payment of $6,642.00 to Mechanical Concepts to replace one compressor and inverter board at Doyline High School.
Cotton Valley Maintenance Fund
- Approval to allow Homeland Safety Systems to install electronic access equipment to the east exterior entrance door at North Webster Upper Elementary School in the amount of $1,291.92.
District 6 Half-Cent Sales Tax Fund
- Approve payment of $3,787.50 to Diversifire, Inc. for emergency repairs to the lightning damaged fire alarm at J.A. Phillips Elementary School.
- Approve Diversifire to install a new Bogen Nyquist Phone and Intercom System at J.A. Phillips Elementary School for $60,400 to replace the current system damaged by lightning.
- Approve Jett Business Systems, Inc to install electronic access control equipment at Minden High School entrance doors and office area for $17,461.00.
- Approve Mechanical Cooling Services to replace the #2 Boiler Circulating Pump at Webster Junior High School in the amount of $2,450.00.
- Approval for Moro Electric to install 25 LED security light fixtures for walkways at Webster Junior High School in the amount of $6,800.
- Approve Keith Jellum to place fencing at Griffith Stadium, removing existing posts and other work in the amount of $5,920.00.
By a vote of 11 – 0, with Board Member Fred Evans abstaining due to a conflict of interest because he has a family member involved in the contracting firm. Accepting the lowest bid of $493,000.00 submitted by Don M. Barron Contractor for Central Elementary School gymnasium improvement project (Job #2019-13.)
The next meeting of the Webster Parish School Board will be held Monday, April 6 at 6:00 with a Finance Committee meeting to be held at 5:00.
KBEF Photo Sara Chreene | Judge Jeff Cox administers the Oath of Office to Glenda Broughton as her daughter, Jennifer Broughton-Sones and son, Jason Broughton look on.
KBEF Photo Sara Chreene | Glenda Broughton and family with Superintendent Johnny Rowland, School Board President Johnnye Kennon, and Judge Jeff Cox.
KBEF Photo Sara Chreene | Pictured L to R: Rodney Taylor of Taylor and Sons, Employee of the Month, Keith Taylor, Superintendent Johnny Rowland.