February 2023 School Board Meeting Wrap-Up
Written by Mark Chreene on February 7, 2023
The regular monthly meeting of the Webster Parish School Board was called to order by Board President Charles Strong Monday evening.
The meeting began with a presentation by Scott Walker of Taylor and Sons to recognize the February Employee of the Month, Tanya Pesses Cole, 1st grade teacher at Browning Elementary School.
The board approved a multi-year contract with IK Network Solutions for the purchase of E-Rate Category 2 Products and Services to replace the existing Wi-Fi network in all schools in the Webster Parish School Board network with an upgraded solution in the amount of $549,603.50. With approval of the district’s application, E-Rate will pay the discounted share of 85% up to the estimated E-Rate Category 2 budget of $486,575.72. The non-discounted 15% share and the amount remaining above the E-Rate Category 2 budget will be paid for out of the Webster Parish School Board General Fund. The E-Rate portion of the cost will be $413,502.47 and the district cost will be $72,971.03.
Also approved was Change Order #2 to the New Complex for Minden High School Softball project in the amount of $40,051.22. Funding source is the District 6 1?2 Cent Sales Tax Fund.
The board awarded the BASE BID to Walker Construction Company, Inc. for a total contract amount of $798,400.00 for job #2022-14 New Visitor Football Grandstand for Minden High School, Minden, Louisiana. Funding source is District 6 1?2 Cent Sales Tax Fund.
Edward Angel, Sr and Edward Angel, Jr. to address the board regarding the Multi-Purpose Building construction project at Minden High School. They gave a update on the progress of the Mult0-Purpose Building construction project.
Edward Angel, Sr stressed that they are committed to finishing the project despite circumstances that are beyond their control. They said that many of the problems that they have encountered are due to excessive groundwater on the construction site. He asked for the boards consideration for assistance with the unanticipated costs.
Approved expenditures by district that were approved were:
Request for Consolidated District 3 Maintenance Fund:
- Ratify for payment invoice #11524 from Mechanical Cooling in the amount of $3600.00 for new HVAC compressor motor protection and related parts at Lakeside Jr/Sr High School.
- Accept proposal #2764 from Fitzgerald Plumbing for $12,600 to bore under the concrete drives and install a 2 inch water line to the existing fire sprinkler system on the stage at Central Elementary School.
Request for Minden District 6 ½ cent Maintenance Fund:
- Accept the proposal from Mechanical Cooling Services for $122,800.00 to replace all the HVAC front end controls on buildings A, B, C, and D at Webster Junior High School.
Sarepta Maintenance Fund:
- Accept the proposal from Gentry & Holder Floors to screen and recoat the North Webster Junior High gym floor for $2700.00.
- To purchase a 14′ x 28′ custom built portable building from Christ Built Construction to serve as a concession stand for the North Webster Junior High football complex for $28,950.00.
- Accept the low quote of $15,619.97 from JnJ Fencing to reconstruct selected fencing at the Sarepta Sports Complex.
Springhill Maintenance Fund
- Ratify for payment invoice #12002 from Mechanical Cooling to repair and replace multiple bleeder valves on HVAC water lines at North Webster High School for $1750.00.
Doyline Maintenance Fund
- Ratify for payment invoice #10443 from Mechanical Concepts in the amount of $2525.60 to repair the HVAC system in room 506 and hallway at Doyline High School.
- Accept proposal #10835 from Mechanical Concepts for $4870.92 to replace the defective coil and evaporator core in the nurse’s station at Doyline High School.
- To allow Doyline High School to purchase field conditioner, sure dry, and mound clay from Minden Farm and Garden for $2570.00.
- Accept the proposal from Lynch’s Lawn & Fence for a sidewalk and landing at Doyline High School for $5500.00.
Shongaloo Maintenance Fund
- Ratify for payment invoice #7590817 from Southern Pipe in the amount of $5649.96 to replace a 100 gallon hot water heater at North Webster Lower Elementary.
The next meeting of the Webster Parish School Board will be held on Monday, March 13, 2023 at the Webster Parish School Board Office at 6:00 pm with a finance committee meeting to be held prior to the meeting at 5:00. The meetings are open to the public as required by law.