Webster Parish School Board Recap-April 2022
Written by Mark Chreene on April 6, 2022
Members of the Webster Parish School Board met Monday evening. Mr. Rodney Taylor of Taylor and Sons recognized Jamie Barnett, who serves as a Social Worker, as the April Employee of the Month.
Recognized were the 2021-2022 Students of the Year:
5th Grade Students:
- Central Elementary Brenan Hubbard
- Doyline Elementary Landreigh Sparish
- Brown Upper Elementary Isabella Deaver
- North Webster Upper Elementary Travis Craighead
- Richardson Elementary Presley Wood
(Overall Webster Parish 5th grade Student of the Year)
8th Grade Students:
- Webster Junior High School Angel Stewart
- Lakeside Junior High School Cole Shirley
- North Webster Junior High School Kadi Colvin
- Doyline High School Shadavion Martin
(Overall Webster Parish 8th grade Student of the Year)
12th Grade Students:
- Doyline High School Kali Moreno
- North Webster High School Brianna Lewis
- Lakeside High School Jake Chumley
- Minden High School Connor Heard
(Overall Webster Parish 12th grade Student of the Year)
After much discussion, a motion was passed by a 6 – 4 vote to update several job descriptions: Supervisor of Title 1 and Elementary Grades 3 – 5, Supervisor of Curriculum, Instruction, and Accountability, and Supervisor of Student Services/Child Welfare and Attendance.
Board Members, Linda Kinsey, Ronnie Rhymes, Glenda Broughton, Jerry Lott, Johnnye Kennon, and Frankie Mitchell voting for and Board members Charles Strong, JJ O’Neal, Penny Long, and Margaret Edens voting no. Board President Fred Evans did not vote and Malachi Ridgell was absent.
Approved by board members were:
- Naming of the Doyline High School gymnasium the “James D. Roach Gymnasium.”
- Lakeside History Club to go on an out-of-state field trip May 28, 2022 to Dallas and the Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachi. Students will be paying their way.
- From Janene Ashley, Principal of JA Phillips Elementary School for Dean of Students, and five staff members to attend Orlando National Get Your Teach On in Kissimmee, Florida from June 26 – 29, 2022 with funding to come from Title 1.
- From Bewanichi Sheppard, Principal at Webster Junior High School for nine teachers and three administrators to attend Kagan Cooperative Learning Strategies Institute in Dallas, Texas, June 20 – 24, 2022 with funding to come from Title 1.
- For the North Webster Junior High School softball teams request to travel by bus to Magnolia, Arkansas to visit the campus of Southern Arkansas University. While there, students will be given a tour of the campus to learn about college and the offered programs and then watch the SAU softball team play a game against Harding University beginning at 5:00 pm. Immediately following the game, students will return to North Webster Junior High School campus for parents to pick them up. The bus will depart from North Webster Junior High School at 2:00 pm and return approximately 7:00pm. Chaperones will be the coaching staff and the bus will be driven by Lonnie O’Neal.
District Expenditures approved were:
Request for Doyline Maintenance Fund:
- Doyline High School to purchase and replace the sign at the baseball and softball field complex for #1,475.00 from Designs by Kelly Avery.
- Doyline High School to purchase four metal picnic tables from OUtdoor School Furniture for $3,650.13.
- JD’s Clean Krate Pressure Washing Service to pressure clean the buildings and sidewalks at Doyline High School for $8,500.00.
- Doyline High School to have JNJ Fencing to install a six foot privacy fence around the shop area for $4,830.
- Doyline High School to have JNJ Fencing to install black chain link fencing on the playground areas for $11,020.00.
- Doyline High School to have JNJ Fencing to install a new perimeter fence at the baseball field for $40,278.
- To accept the service proposal 8416 from Mechanical Concepts from $12,500.00 to replace the evaporator coil, compressor, inverter board, and condenser fan on one HVAC unit in the elementary wing at Doyline High School.
- Ratify invoice #9018 from Mechanical Cooling Services for Heat – HVAC repairs at Doyline High School at the Pre-K building for $6,852.21.
Request for Shongaloo Building Fund:
- Ratify invoice #9018 from Mechanical Cooling Services to rebuild and install the chilled water pump at North Webster Lower Elementary School for $5,200.
Request for Minden District 6 ½ cent Maintenance Fund:
- E.S. Richardson Elementary School purchase a Shhil FS 91 Trimmer for $306 and an Exmark 60 inch mower for $12,166.00 from Holmont Sales per state contract for a total of $12,472.00.
- To authorize Johnson Controls to replace 2 ABB VFD drives and bypasses for both chilled water pumps at Minden High School for $15,266.14.
- Ratify invoice #861 from Wildlife Abatement, LLC for bat exclusion from the south side of the courtyard at Minden High School for $1,398.63.
- Ratify invoice #1-115499372541 from Johnson Controls for Chiller repairs at Minden High School for $1,605.04.
- Ratify invoice #1-115499111337 from Johnson Controls for AHU#7 bearing and blower repairs at Minden High School for $1,989.57.
- Ratify invoice #1-115609623808 from Johnson Controls for Broiler repairs at Minden High School for $790.54.
Request for Consolidated District 3 Maintenance Fund:
- Lakeside Junior/Senior High School to purchase eight tables and 32 chairs from Virco for $2,475.00.
- Lakeside Junior/Senior High School to purchase a new scoreboard from Minden Athletic Supply to replace the broken one that is currently at the baseball field at a cost of $9,544.00.
- Lakeside Junior/Senior High School to have Homeland Safety Systems install microphone equipment for the security cameras in the office area for $499.59.
Request for Springhill Maintenance Fund:
- Brown Upper Elementary to purchase a Sthil FS 91 Trimmer for $306.00, a FC91 Edger for $342.00, and a BR430 blower for $387.00 from Holmont Sales per state contract for a total of $1035.00.
The next meeting of the Webster Parish School Board will be held on Monday, May 2 at the Harper Pathways to Excellence Center at 618 Germantown Road at 6:00 pm with a finance committee meeting to be held at 5:00 pm. The meetings are open to the public as required by law.