New School Calendar Option Tabled By Webster Parish Board
Written by Mark Chreene on February 2, 2021
The Webster Parish School Board held its monthly meeting on Monday. The meeting began with the recognition of Taylor and Sons Employee of the Month, Ms. Katelin Breaux, Ag Teacher at North Webster High School.
The board heard a recommendation from the Calendar Committee to consider adopting the 2021-2022 school calendar, but by a vote of 11 – 1, with board member, Frankie Mitchell the lone no vote, board members voted to table the vote until the next meeting. The committee recommended a balanced calendar. It provides a shorter summer break, but offers two weeks of break several times throughout the school year. The purpose of the calendar is to provide shorter time between the school years in an effort to help students retain the academic progress made.
In other business, the board:
- Approved the correction of removal of the items below the capitalization threshold, effective January 29, 2020 (To correct typo error recorded as $3,000 instead of $5,000).
- Approval of the The presentation of the FY 20-21 Budget for Redesign and Carl Perkins.
- Approval for Coordinated Funding Request. Webster Parish Ready Start Early Childhood Network will be applying for birth – 4 year old seats for the 2021-2022 school year.
A number of expenditures were approved:
Requests for Consolidated 3 Maintenance Fund
- Lakeside Jr./Sr. High School to purchase an Ice Floor Burnisher iB2000 from VCC Janitorial Supply in the amount of $1,920.00
- Approve Hercules Ag & Outdoor to sandblast, prime, paint, and repair a 40 ft. shipping container that is used for track storage at Lakeside Jr./Sr. High School in the amount of $3,000.
- Approval to purchase 120 hurdles from Minden Athletic Supply to replace broken hurdles for track program at Lakeside Jr./Sr. High School in the amount of $11,113.80.
- Approval Lakeside Jr./Sr. High School to purchase two LEGO Mindstorms Education EV3 Core robot sets for the Robotics Team in the amount of $879.80.
- Lakeside Jr./Sr. High School to purchase a Color Pro Ultra poster and sign maker, with a cool laminator from Presentation Solutions in the amount of $8,794.00, for use in conjunction with our Jump Start program and ordinary school use.
- Approval to ratify payment of invoice #S-4038 from Mechanical Concepts for $1,206.00 for HVAC repair on 5th grade wing at Central Elementary School.
- Approval to ratify payment of Invoice S-4039 from Mechanical Concepts for $1,755.00 for HVAC repair on 2nd grade wing at Central Elementary School.
- Approval to ratify payment of Invoice #S-4037 from Mechanical Concepts for $705.00 for HVAC repair in room 321 at Lakeside Jr./Sr. High School.
- Approval to ratify payment of Invoice #S-4016 from Mechanical Concepts for $1,980.00 for HVAC repair – warranty compressor replacement at Lakeside Jr./Sr. High School using Consolidated District 3 Maintenance Fund.
Requests for Springhill Lease Fund
- Approval Browning Elementary School to purchase 5 Newline 75” Multi touch display screens for their new Tier One El Education and Zearn Math curriculums with updated technology in the amount of $18,255.37.
- Approval Brown Upper Elementary School to purchase 6 wood guest chairs from BMS Office Supplies in the amount of $1,734.00.
Requests for Doyline Maintenance Fund
- Approval for Doyline High School Athletic Department to purchase baseball and softball field conditioners and clay from Minden Farm and Garden in the amount $2,711.50.
Requests for Minden Building Fund
- Approval for Abatement Services, Inc. to remove exterior asbestos along soffits and flower beds at E.S. Richardson Elementary School in the amount of $19,153.00 to prepare building for renovations.
- Approval for Altec Environmental Consulting, LLC to provide daily on-site environmental monitoring during asbestos removal at E.S. Richardson Elementary School in the amount $4,031.91.
Requests for District 6 1?2 Cent Sales Tax Fund
- Approval for Johnson Controls to repair the domestic hot water boiler at Minden High School for $4,031.91.
- Approval for Pepper Fence, LLC to install panic hardware on existing ornamental fence gates at J.A. Phillips Elementary School in the amount of $1,842.00.
- Approval to ratify payment of Invoice #1-99915392849 for $3,150.96 from Johnson Controls for HVAC repair at Minden High School.