Minden High Nerd Notes: Quarterfinals Edition
Written by Mark Chreene on December 10, 2020
After last week’s exciting win over Leesville, the Minden Crimson Tide find themselves in the quarterfinal round of the playoffs for the third time since 2006. The quarterfinal draw is tough one in the Neville Tigers. While this is the second time that Minden and Neville will square off in 2020, we have a new angle to take on the Tigers for this week’s edition of “Nerd Notes.”
- The overall history was noted in the last Neville edition of Nerd Notes, but we must update it…it now stands with Neville leading 32-6-2.
- These two teams have met in the playoffs counting Thursday night’s game, seven times. Neville leads that category 5-2. Minden’s two wins came in 2006 quarterfinals (41-34) and in 1956’s state championship run (20-0).
- A little consolation though, Minden is 2-1 at home vs. Neville in playoffs, winning in 2006 and 1956. The lone loss came in 1959 (28-6).
- Repeat games of opponents in the playoffs that Minden has played in regular season has happened a few times in Tide football history:
- 2008 Benton (Lost)
- 2002 Neville (Lost)
- 1999 Benton (Lost)
- 1993 Haughton (Lost)
- 1991 Bossier (Won)
- 1986 Wossman (Lost)
- 1964 Jonesboro (Lost)
- 1963 Jonesboro (Won)(Won State Championship)
- 1960 North Caddo (Won)
- 1954 Ruston (Won) (Won State Championship)
- 1953 Ruston (Lost)
- With this year’s playoff appearance, Coach Spencer Heard is now the holder of most playoff appearances, with seven. With a win tonight, he would tie former coach, Chuck Herrington at six playoff wins. Heard is currently tied with George Doherty for 2nd all time with five wins.
- Coach Heard is also closing in on the all-time wins record at Minden. At 53 wins, he currently sits at #3, just behind #2 Steve Brasher (58 wins), and #1 Elton Kelly (61 wins).
It’s been an exciting season for the Minden Crimson Tide in 2020. We shall see how the latest chapter in the playoff history between these two teams turns out on Thursday night.