City Council To Attempt To Have Special Session Today
Written by Mark Chreene on June 3, 2020
Pending a quorum, the Minden City Council is set to meet this afternoon at 3 p.m. in Pelican Conference Room in City Hall. Because of Covid-19 Protocols, the meeting will be closed to the public. Council members that can’t make the meeting in person are able to call in via teleconference per state emergency regulations. The agenda was limited to attempt to gain a quorum with council members Terika Walker and Vince Bradford of Districts B and C, who haven’t attended a regular meeting since March.
On the agenda for today is:
- Police Department New Hires
- Fire Department New Hire
- Adopt Resolution to order a special election for Council Seat for District A. (If not approved by June 17th, could cost the city between $10-15,000 to place on ballot by itself as opposed to a already set ballot.)
- Award Bid No. 1-20, Rehabilitate Runway 1/19, Airport Improvement Program
- Award Bid No. 2-20, Airfield Lighting Improvements, Airport Improvement Program
- Award Bid No. 3-20, 2020 Road Overlay Project for portions of Horton Street, Pine Street and Fincher Road.
It is not known if a quorum will be present at the meeting based on an email reply from Councilwoman Terika Walker, who expressed frustration with the modified agenda. Walker said in the email,
“How ironic, Pam asked for certain items to be on the agenda and it’s done. It took a year for you to entertain a discussion for the employee manual after repeated requests (by me) for it to be added to the agenda. Where’s the equality in that situation? It’s not. With that being said, the employee manual has not been fully addressed, revised and voted in; therefore, I’m not voting on any personnel items. I will attend a meeting that addresses the resolution for the special election, street overlays and airport.